Director of Development
Job Description: Director of Development
Organization: Code Platoon
Position: Director of Development
Location: Remote, Chicago area preferred
Reports to: Executive Director
About Code Platoon
Code Platoon is a mission-driven organization dedicated to empowering military Veterans and military spouses by providing them with comprehensive training and support to transition into successful careers as software developers. Our innovative training programs leverage the unique skills and qualities Veterans possess, ensuring a seamless transition into the tech industry. We are committed to making a lasting impact on the lives of Veterans while addressing the technology industry’s growing need for skilled professionals.
The Director of Development at Code Platoon plays a crucial role in ensuring the organization’s financial sustainability and growth. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and executing fundraising efforts, cultivating donor relationships, and building partnerships to support the expansion of our programs. The Director of Development will collaborate closely with the Executive Director and the board of directors to shape and execute a comprehensive fundraising strategy that aligns with the organization’s goals.
- Fundraising Strategy and Execution
- Develop a blueprint and execute a fundraising roadmap, aligning with the organization’s financial needs and growth objectives.
- Establish, cultivate, and nurture relationships with individual donors, corporate partners, foundations, and prospective funding sources, specifically focusing on fostering long-term corporate relationships.
- Explore new fundraising methodologies and uncover new opportunities to diversify our revenue portfolio.
- Donor Cultivation and Stewardship
- Build and sustain strong, lifecycle donor relationships through personalized communication, engagement experiences, and regular updates on the company’s impact.
- Formulate and implement initiatives to raise donor loyalty, deepen engagement, and grow contribution levels over the donor lifecycle.
- Work with marketing and career services counterparts to ensure consistent messaging for our donors and supporters.
- Partnership Development:
- Identify and forge strategic partnerships with corporations, foundations, government entities, and other organizations to expand the organization’s reach and impact.
- Foster enduring Corporate collaborations that enrich the Code Platoon graduate journey as they enter the tech workforce, exploring innovative partnership models
- Grant Writing and Reporting:
- Research, write and curate compelling grant proposals for submission to foundations, government agencies, and other funding sources.
- Oversee the grant reporting process, ensuring timely submission of progress reports and essential documentation, fostering transparent and productive relationships with our supporters.
- Team Leadership and Collaboration:
- Lead, mentor, and manage a small team of development professionals, fostering a collaborative and goal-oriented work environment.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, board of directors, and other key stakeholders to align development strategies with overall organizational objectives.
- Data Management and Analysis:
- Leverage fundraising software and tools to document and monitor donor interactions, contributions, and the progress of fundraising efforts.
- Analyze data to pinpoint emerging trends, seize growth opportunities, and pinpoint areas for improvement, continuously optimizing our engagement strategies.
– Proven track record of successfully leading fundraising efforts and securing gifts in the nonprofit sector, with a strong emphasis on corporate relationships.
– Strong network of contacts within the Veteran, philanthropic and corporate communities.
– Experience with the Veteran community is preferred.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grant writing and donor communication.
– Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective relationships with diverse stakeholders.
– Experience in team leadership and management, fostering a collaborative and motivated work environment.
– Familiarity with fundraising software and databases such as Salesforce, Hubspot or the like, for efficient data management.
– Passion for the organization’s mission and a strong commitment to supporting military Veterans.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their information here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Code Platoon is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and experiences.
Note: The information provided in this job description is a general overview and not an exhaustive list of responsibilities. Duties and responsibilities may evolve based on organizational needs.
Internships: Coding Teaching Assistant (Remote)
Are you a Computer Science (or related field) major? Want to learn to build real web apps, instead of just learning theory? Interested in tech education? Want to be involved with a nonprofit that trains Veterans and military spouses to become professional software developers?
Looking to take off a semester from college, or already graduated?
Then apply for our Internships!
Code Platoon is a nonprofit Coding Bootcamp that strictly serves the military community. Our award winning program is designed to train deeply interested beginners and prepare them for careers in software development.
We are looking for a major in Computer Science, rising sophomore or higher to be a teaching assistant (TA) for our Full-stack Software Engineering Bootcamp. We do not expect the TA to know the material beforehand, but do expect that they will spend enough time preparing ahead of time so that when the material is presented to the class, the TA will be able to be an ‘advanced beginner’. Aside from learning the material, the TA’s primary responsibility will be to assist students with their coding assignments during the rest of the day.
This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring software developer to learn real-world coding skills, as our program prepares students to go directly into the job market as software developers.
The TA will essentially get a $17,000 education (cost of the program) for free. A side benefit for the TA will be access to our extensive software developer community.
- Attend Code Platoon according to class schedule (8:30am to 5pm for Immersive programs // Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30-9:30 p.m. CST and Saturdays from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. CST for Evening & Weekend programs)
- Help our students with their assignments
- At least two classes in software development by the time summer begins
- Deep interest to learn real-world coding skills
- Strong communication skills
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer. Candidates requiring sponsorship, whether now or in the future, are not authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
About Code Platoon
Code Platoon is a nonprofit Coding Bootcamp with a mission to train Veterans and military spouses to become professional software developers through a hands-on, immersive learning approach. Founded in 2016, Code Platoon has graduated over 200 Veterans and spouses.
Graduates benefit from a robust internship program, where many of our in-person graduates are placed directly into 3-6 month paid internships, typically leading to Full-time jobs in the field.
Job Type: Full-time internship
Education: At least 2 Computer science classes, including Object Orientation
Language: English (Required)
- Evening & Weekend Foxtrot Platoon: Jan 8 – July 20, 2024
- Whiskey Platoon: January 29 – May 10, 2024
- DevOps Evening & Weekend Bravo Platoon: April 15 – October 26, 2024
1) Complete the Code Platoon coding skills assessment here.
2) Please fill out this form.
3) A Code Platoon staff member will follow up with you after receiving your email.